If you like to write, have a creative flair, enjoy problem solving, thrive on pressure and in a fast-paced environment, the fields of advertising and public relations might be for you. Whether you work for an independent agency or within the marketing division of a large corporation, you will have the opportunity to shape how the public views your client.
In many ways, the fields of advertising and public relations are ideal areas for liberal arts graduates. They call upon your abilities to be a keen observer of the population at large, synthesize public opinion, work well in a team environment, write well, be an articulate and effective public speaker, and maintain a positive and high-energy profile within the workplace. Many Williams students possess these traits, skills, and talents, especially those who have chosen to concentrate in the humanities and social sciences.
- AdWeek - A must read for current news and events in the advertising industry.
- Advertising Age - Another must read magazine that reports on news, analysis and trends in advertising, marketing and media.
- American Association of Advertising Agencies (AAAA) - A national trade association representing advertising agencies across the United States.
- American Marketing Association
- Marketing Research Association
- Smartbrief - from an alum, "I would recommend subscribing to Smartbrief's Advertising & Marketing publications. It's free and it condenses important industry related news to one email."
- Marketing, Brand Management and Sales Careers in Marketing, Marketing Job Profiles
- Advertising Council
- Marketing Sherpa
- Media Bistro
- Marketing Hire
Are you interested in the creative side of advertising such as copy writer or art director? Portfolio school might be in your future. Check our this great article on the blog Beyond Madison Avenue for the pros and cons of this path. Here are some top portfolio schools to consider:
- O'Dwyer's PR Firm Rankings - Includes bios of the ranked firms plus a link to O'Dwyer's PR firms database.
- O'Dwyer's Public Relations News - The Inside News of Public Relations and Marketing.
- PRWeek (Print copy available in the OCC) - The leading trade publication for the public relations and communications industry.
- PR News Online
- PR Daily - from an alum, "Ragan's PR Daily News has something worth my time and it's even better for young professionals."
- Media Bistro - An online job site for communication professionals
- The Bulldog Reporter's Daily Dog - has a range of very useful PR blogs in the right sidebar.
- Mashable - came highly recommended for news and job postings in social media.
- Beyond PR - from an alum, "I have valued Sarah Skerik's blog."
- Creativity - A monthly magazine published by Ad Age that covers all things creative in advertising and design.
- Design Resources for the "Non Designer"
- Wix.com - Portfolio/Free work sample website
- Video game Design Schools is a new site where you can find in-depth and unbiased information about a Video Game Design degree. Search 135+ video game designer schools.
- Creative Displays Now! – a number of useful links produced by cardboard display merchandiser.
- Society for News Design – Events, competitions, resources, jobs
- Coroflot – Job lists and profiles
- Gamasutra – Lists hundreds of gaming companies and sorts them by producers, distributors, those looking for visual artists etc. Also have great articles about the field.