Fast-paced, demanding hours, constant travel, challenging clients, good pay, stimulating environment, intense teamwork. These words describe the corporate culture of consulting. If that intrigues you, read on.
Competition for a spot at a top consulting firm is fierce; only a small percentage of those trying out will succeed in landing an entry-level position. Williams students, however, have done better than average in securing positions in these industries. It demands a stellar academic record, serious preparation, and extreme poise during the interview process.
Employers often begin recruiting for consulting internships and full-time positions very early in the fall, but we encourage you to start early. Preparing for the consulting interview process is labor intensive and takes time and practice. To get started, check out the Vault Guide to Consulting, which can be downloaded at no cost through this Williams specific link.
Economic consulting firms advise corporations and government organizations regarding the intersection of business, economics, and law.
- Economic Consulting Careers, American Economics Association
- Top Economic Consulting Firms, Vault.com
- 19 Economic Consulting Inverview Questions, Vault.com
- Cornerstone Research
- Brattle Group
- Compass Lexecon
- Charles River Associates
- FTI Consulting
- McKinsey & Co.
Nonprofit consulting firms advise clients on fund development (fundraising and funding alternatives), governance, and strategic planning.
- Consulting Case Interview Practice List - connecting Williams students for case study and practice.
- Case in Point - A new addition of Case in Point has just hit the market.
- Case Questions Interactive - is an online practice program created by the author of Case in Point. Be sure to check out the videos and the section for practicing consulting math! Williams Password: CaseQuestions40
- CaseInterview.com - A former McKinsey consultant provides tips on preparing for the interview. Use his free resources. If you sign up for his free listserv, you'll get six hours of free videos on preparing for a case. He book, Case Interview Secrets, is also for sale on Amazon.
- Bain & Company Online Practice Cases - in addition to case interview case interviews prep information, including videos.
- Boston Consulting Group (BCG) Interactive Case Prep
- McKinsey Interactive Case Questions
- PrepLounge: A case interview community where candidates with similar career goals can get connected, practice cases and sharpen their consulting skills. There are many free resources on this page.
- National Society of Certified Healthcare Business Consultants
- Association of Internal Management Consultants
- Association of Consultants to Non-Profits
- The Institute of Management Consultants USA
- InRoads - Places qualified minority college students in two-four year internships with corporate sponsors in business and industry.
- Management Leadership for Tomorrow (MLT) - Equips African Americans, Latinos and Native Americans with the skills, coaching, and connections they need to lead organizations and communities worldwide.
- Sponsors for Educational Opportunity (SEO) - A premier summer internship program for college students of color, with internships in accounting, asset management, corporate law. global financial leadership, investment banking and management consulting, and philanthropy.
- Starting Bloc - Partnering with top business schools, Starting Bloc is a non-profit that provides training in socially responsible entrepreneurship and business practices. Fellows attend four weekend-long training sessions in Boston, New York or London.
- Harvard HBX CORe: The Language of Business
- Tuck Bridge Program
- Stanford Summer Institute for General Management
- University of Chicago Booth School Summer Business Scholars Program
- Berkeley Haas School BASE Summer Program
- University of Virginia McIntire Business Institute
- Vanderbilt Accelerator Summer Business Institute
The following student groups at Williams offer an opportunity to try out consulting, develop relevant skills, and demonstrate your career interest to employers.
Alhambra Student Consulting Group
Women in Business
Williams Business Association (WBA)