The Williams Career Center awards summer grants in the amount of $3,800 to currently enrolled first-years, sophomores, and juniors for unpaid or limited stipend full-time summer internships through our Alumni Sponsored Internship Program (ASIP) in the areas of arts/entertainment, education/teaching, non-profit/community service, social justice, federal/state/local government, international development, law, international affairs, public policy, environment, economic development, entrepreneurship/social entrepreneurship, and health/medicine and more!
The Williams Alumni Sponsored Internship Program enables students to perform a public service to these organizations and work on special projects with an opportunity to gain experience, explore career fields, develop skills, and build a network.
NEW FOR 2018-If current sophomores or juniors received an ASIP grant in a previous year, they can submit an ASIP Application for a second time! First time ASIP Applicants will be given 1st priority.
2017 Alumni Sponsored Internship Program Book
Alumni Sponsored Internship Program Information Sessions
To apply, you must attend the Alumni Sponsored Internship Program (ASIP) Application Workshop, offered weekly for several weeks before each of the two deadlines. You must attend this workshop even if you have attended one last year.
Round 1 Application Deadline Date: Sunday, February 18, 2018
Round 2 Application Deadline Date: Sunday, April 22, 2018
Please note: If you receive any funding from any other Williams College Department or Program including grants/scholarships/stipends/weekly pay in the summer of 2018 you are not eligible to receive an ASIP grant in the summer of 2018. We want to be fair to all students, so instead of awarding 2 types of Williams College funding in one summer to one Williams student, 2 Williams students will each receive one type of funding.
In addition, you are strongly encouraged to attend any of the Career Center workshops being offered this year. Please check our calendar on our homepage for dates and times.
The ASIP Application Workshop should take about 30 minutes, but Dawn Dellea will be available for the entire hour in order to answer your questions. You can attend this workshop prior to securing a full-time summer internship.
The Alumni Sponsored Internship Program Application Workshop will be held in the Mears Lewis Room located in Mears House on the following dates/times:
- April ASIP Application Workshop dates will be posted during the week of March 19th.
If you are studying abroad, contact Dawn Dellea at [email protected] and schedule a phone or skype appointment.
Williams Alumni Sponsored Internship Program Application Instructions
- In order to apply, first years, sophomores and juniors must obtain a full-time summer internship. Full-time is defined as 35-40 hours per week for at least 8 weeks.
- Download the 2018 ASIP Application. This application includes the ASIP Application form (page 1) and your responses to three questions (page 2).
- Your internship supervisor must write a letter confirming that you will be working full-time (35-40 hours per week) for at least eight weeks. In addition, your internship supervisor should tell us how your work during the summer would benefit their organization. Your supervisor can send you this signed letter in an attached document with your supervisor’s signature via email. Or your internship supervisor can send you an email confirmation with the information listed above.
- An updated resume is required.
- Please save your documents and with the names: 2018 ASIP Resume, 2018 ASIP Application, and 2018 ASIP Employer Letter.
To Submit An Application On Handshake:
Upload Your Documents on Handshake.
- Under Your Name in the Top Left Corner, Pull Down “Documents.” and upload each document and include your last name when saving it:
- 2018 ASIP Resume-Dellea-Document Type, select “Resume”
- 2018 ASIP Application-Dellea Document, select “Other Document”–(Application Form and Essay Questions)
- 2018 ASIP Employer Letter-Dellea Document Type, select “Cover Letter”
- Please note: You are not required to make your documents public.
- After all documents are uploaded on the top bar select “Jobs’
- On The Left-Hand Side Under “Filters,” Type In “ASIP”
- Under 2018 Alumni Sponsored Internship Program Click On “View Details” and “See More” To Read the description. Then, click on the “Apply” button
- Select the appropriate documents, and submit your application!
Deadline To Submit ASIP Applications (Round 2) On Handshake :
Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 11:55 p.m.
Q: What are the 2018 application deadlines?
- Round 1 Application Deadline Date: Sunday, February 18, 2018
- Round 2 Application Deadline Date: Sunday, April 22, 2018
Q: What are the objectives of the Williams Alumni Sponsored Internship Program?
A: To provide an opportunity for students:
- To engage in constructive and innovative projects which address significant needs, link knowledge and structural change within society;
- To gain firsthand experience in a selected area that will serve to supplement their academic involvement and allow them to make meaningful contributions in the classroom after their return to Williams;
- To experience educational and personally fulfilling challenges working with professionals in fields that affect all of us;
- To explore alternative career options and the chance to diversify a resume otherwise dominated by more traditional achievements.
Q: Who is eligible?
A: Only currently enrolled First-Years, Sophomores and Juniors are invited to apply for Williams Alumni Sponsored Internships. Only currently enrolled first-years, sophomores and juniors in good standing with the College will receive the ASIP grant.
Q: What are the application requirements?
A: To apply, you must attend one of the Alumni Sponsored Internship Program (ASIP) Application Workshop, offered weekly for several weeks before each of the deadlines. Before submitting your 2018 ASIP Application packet on Handshake you must secure a full-time summer internship (35-40 hours per week for at least 8 weeks)
Q: What are the selection criteria?
A: A committee of faculty and staff appointed by the Manager of Alumni & Parent Engagement Programs will select internship recipients based on the quality of their application materials.
Q: What is the amount of the internship stipend?
A: The amount a student receives is $3,800 for an eight to ten week internship. This grant is taxable income and is subject to withholding.
Q: When are students notified about the internships?
A: You will be notified of your status ASAP after the application deadline (traditionally within 2 1/2-3 weeks).
Q: What are my responsibilities if I am selected for a Williams Alumni Sponsored Internship Program?
- To secure housing in the location where my internship will be performed;
- To attend an internship orientation session;
- To represent Williams Internship Programs by engaging in selected projects at the highest level of performance;
- To assist the Program by submitting a written and oral presentation of experience upon completion of the internship;
- To promote the ASIP Program to the undergraduate students.
Q: How do I get started?
A: By attending the workshops at the Career Center in Mears House.