January 2023 SPEC 21 Career Exploration: Winter Study Internships! Imagine your Winter Study adventure!
Live SPEC 21 Winter Study Internship List January 2023 – Updated 11/06/2022
Internships amplify academic learning, empower professional development, and increase students’ career options. SPEC 21 offers students the opportunity to learn beyond the classroom by providing substantive applied learning experiences focusing on issues such as racial justice/social justice, non-profit/community service, government/policy/law, environment, education & many more!
Update 11/06/2022 – Application Deadlines Extended!
Four SPEC 21 Employers reposted winter internships! Please go to the live spreadsheet above. The application deadline via Handshake is Sunday, November 13th at 11:55 p.m.!
The application deadline for the SPEC 21 Student Self-Sourced Winter Internships via Handshake is Sunday, November 27th at 11:55 p.m. on a first come, first serve basis.
For the Winter Study Term in January 2023, remote, hybrid, and on-location winter internships located in the United States or abroad are eligible. Students will work on project(s) or other assignments for 5 days per week, 35-40 hours per week during the Winter Study Term (Tuesday, 01/03/2023 - Thursday, 01/26/2023).
Please note: If you are traveling abroad for your winter internship, I am required to check the U. S. Department of State Travel Advisory List. If the country is classified as a Level 3 Warning-Reconsider Travel, or a Level 4 Warning-Do Not Travel, you will be required to submit a supplemental document with details concerning your safety/housing information and your travel schedule while you are located in this country. Your SPEC 21 Student Self-Sourced Winter Internship Application, the SPEC 21 Winter Internship Supervisor Verification Form (signed by your internship supervisor), your resume, and your supplemental document will be submitted to our Senior Staff for review.
All first-years, sophomores, juniors, and seniors must be currently enrolled in the 2022 Fall Semester in order to submit applications for any winter internships (Live SPEC 21 Winter Internship List-January 2023 or SPEC 21 Student Self-Sourced Winter Internships) and enroll in SPEC 21 Career Exploration: Winter Study Internships! The Application Deadline for all SPEC 21 Winter Internships via Handshake is Sunday, October 16, 2023, at 11:55 p.m. (EDT)
Students accepting one of the SPEC 21 Winter Study Internships from the live spreadsheet will be automatically enrolled in our winter study course. These winter internships have the 1st priority.
Students finding their own winter study internships, (SPEC 21 Student Self-Sourced Winter Study Internships) will submit a SPEC 21 Student Self-Sourced Winter Internship Application, a SPEC 21 Winter Internship Supervisor Verification Form, and a resume via Handshake. Before submitting these documents, the student must have a confirmed full-time winter internship.
Please note: If you are submitting a Student Self-Sourced Winter Internship, the President/ Co-Founder/Owner of the organization must not be a currently enrolled college student, and your supervisor must have worked full-time for two years. Full-time experience does not include full-time summer internships while attending college.
If first-year students have confirmed full-time winter internships (remote or on-location), they are required to live on-campus during the entire Winter Study term. On-location winter internships must be local (within Berkshire County).
You are not eligible to apply for SPEC 21 Winter Internships if you are studying away/abroad for the entire 2022-2023 academic year or if your study away/abroad program begins in January 2023.
If you applied for a Winter Study Travel Course or a 99 Winter Study Independent Projects, this is your first priority, and you are not eligible to apply for the SPEC 21 Winter Internships.
Important Note: Students are responsible for all costs necessary for completing the course, including travel to the site location, costs of food and accommodations, and any commuting costs. Students are responsible for finding their own housing arrangements during Winter Study.
Students receiving financial aid are eligible to receive up to $1,000. If sophomores, juniors, or seniors are working off-campus (outside of Berkshire County during winter study), they are eligible for a Dining Services Rebate. For more information, please go to this link:
In addition, students receiving financial aid can receive some assistance through the Career Access Fund.
Please note: Since SPEC 21 is a Winter Study course, the Winter Study Committee does not allow students to receive a salary or weekly pay for winter study internships. Stipends are allowed, but winter study employers are not required to offer this option to students.
SPEC 21 Student Self-Sourced Winter Internship Application Instructions
Please submit your SPEC 21 Student Self-Sourced Winter Internship Application, the SPEC 21 Winter Internship Supervisor Verification Form, and your updated resume at this Handshake Link.
- The Student Application and Internship Supervisor Verification form can be found when you select the red "Apply" button on Handshake.
New Documents-The SPEC 21 Student Self-Sourced Winter Internship Application and SPEC 21 Winter Internship Supervisor Verification Form
- Please note The SPEC 21 Student Self-Sourced Winter Internship Application and SPEC 21 Winter Internship Supervisor Verification Form were created as Microsoft Office Word Fillable Forms.
- Do not use Google Docs to complete these forms.
- You will be required to download these forms and open them in Microsoft Office (Word).
- If you do not have this software, please download Microsoft Office. For instructions and to download Microsoft Office, go to OIT Microsoft Office Link
- When sending the SPEC 21 Winter Internship Supervisor Verification Form to your supervisor, do not share it as a Google Doc.
- Please complete and sign this form.
- Save this document as Jan 2023 Student Self-Sourced WS Application as a Microsoft Word Document and upload it onto Handshake under the label “Other Documents.”
- When sending the SPEC 21 Winter Internship Supervisor Verification Form to your supervisor, do not share it as a Google Doc. Your Internship Supervisor will complete and sign this form and return it to you as a Microsoft Word Document via email before the Application Deadline via Handshake on Sunday, October 16th at 11:55 p.m.
- ***Please Note: A typed name on the Internship Supervisor's signature line will not be accepted.
- Save this document as January 2023 Winter Internship Supervisor Verification Form as a Microsoft Word document and upload it onto Handshake under the label "Cover Letter."
Questions? Please Contact: Dawn M. Dellea, Manager, Alumni & Parent Engagement Programs, ’68 Center for Career Exploration at [email protected]